Monday, January 13, 2014

Day 9- Visit to Tyltylschool Maasgrow

January 13- 11:11pm

This morning I woke up early to get ready for our school visit. While Cinz and I were in the middle of getting ready when we heard a loud noise coming from the hall. When we opened our door to peek our heads out, the noise started to get louder and louder. It was the fire alarm! We all had to evacuate the building. Mostly everyone was in their pjs just waking up to get ready for the school visit. We never ended up finding out if it was a drill or if there was an actual fire. What a great way to start the day! 

Today I had an eye opening experience at our school visit. We went to a special education school for students with mental and physical disabilities. The school has 90 students raging between the age from 4- 19 years old. There are 12 groups with 7 students in each group and with one teacher and one assistance. They are separated by age and level of mental disability. About ninety percent of students live at home and come to school by car, bus, or taxi, while ten percent of students live in dorms near the school because their disability is very severe that they need 24 hours care. In the Dutch Special Education system, everything is paid by the government and local authorities pay for buses and taxis for students to go to school. After the director of the school talked about their school and the special education system in the Netherlands, we separated into small groups and had the opportunity to observe two classrooms. In the first classroom I observed, students raged from age 14-19. The teacher mentioned that a lot of her students will be leaving soon because they are about to turn 20 years old. In the Dutch special education system, once students turn 20 years old they are done with their schooling. Two of her students are going to institutions that allows them to work and live with other students that may have disabilities. Also, she mentioned that the teachers try their best to find the best fit for their students once they are done with their schooling. During the time I was in the classroom, one student came up to us and said that he knew how to speak English. He kept saying to us "I love you". He was so friendly and excited that we were there! In the second classroom I observe, I was in physical therapy. Three of us and the teacher walked to pick up a student for him to practice using an electric wheelchair. As he was practicing using the wheelchair, the teacher mentioned that it took about two years from the boy to properly use the chair. He got so excited that he was doing so well in front of us! After our observations, we gathered as a group and had the chance to ask questions to the principal. He mentioned that they try to promote students to be dependent and give them the self-esteem because they are just like everyone else! This school visit was such an amazing experience that I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment